How an Old or Inefficient AC Can Hurt Your Air Quality
As temperatures rise outdoors, it’s likely that you and your loved ones will spend an increased amount of time indoors to beat the heat. Before you turn on your AC to stay cool and comfortable this summer, you should make sure that its working properly. Your indoor air should always be clean and breathable. Sometimes, an old or inefficient air conditioner can negatively affect your air quality. If it’s left to worsen, it can cause breathing related illnesses and other health related problems in your home. Papalia can help your AC to work as well as it possibly can, so at the first sign of an issue, call us. Here are some things to watch out for:
Problems That Can Affect Air Quality
- Dirty filters. Your filter is responsible for literally filtering out impurities in your airflow before its delivered and dispersed throughout your home via a central air system. Your air filter should be changed often, every few months is best. This is especially important during periods of extended use, like the summer months. When the filter becomes dirty and clogged with dust, hair, dander, pollen, or any other debris that may make their way in, your air quality can be compromised.
- Excess moisture. If your air conditioner is leaking any excess fluid or it has more condensation than usual, it may be harming your indoor air quality. Leftover liquids can leave you with mold or mildew growth. These spores can grow and spread at a rapid rate. If in or around your air system, they can easily be blown into your home.
- Faulty ducts. If your duct system is damaged, it’s possible for debris to build up inside. Because your ducts deliver air directly through your vents, whatever may be built up inside will be delivered as well.
- Strange sounds or smells. These are signs that your system may be broken or running inefficiently. In an effort to prevent the problem from worsening, you should have a professional fix the problem.
- Outdated equipment. Any system that is old, outdated, or running inefficiently has the potential to damage the air quality in your home. If your air conditioning system is out of date, you should consider a replacement. Newer technologies are more efficient and will help to keep the air in your home safe and breathable for years to come.
The Importance of Routine Maintenance
In order to keep your cooling system working safely and efficiently, routine professional maintenance is necessary. When you’re looking for a good AC contractor to hire for maintenance, you need to make sure the company offers a comprehensive package of services and has a good reputation. The services offered by the team of HVAC experts at Papalia’s include:
- Air conditioning maintenance
- Air conditioning cleaning
- Duct cleaning and maintenance
- Air conditioning repair
- Duct repair
If we find anything wrong with your cooling system, we offer prompt and professional repairs at an affordable, transparent price. So, if you suspect that your AC is harming your air quality, call Papalia Plumbing and Heating today!